Pages

Monday, October 29, 2007

Josh Bancroft Intel Sabbatical Ignite

I've seen Josh Bancroft on Twitter for several months. I follow him. I don't know if he follows me. Sabbatical sounds like a great idea. It's good to get out of the box and being able to do what you want. Decided to blog about it here. My Twitter is referring to my digitalvillages blog.

Presenting a Twitter person

Josh Bancroft’s TinyScreenfuls.com: "What is sabbatical you ask? Well, at Intel, every seven years you’re employed there, you get 8 weeks paid time off in the form of a sabbatical, to do with as you please. You can’t break it up, but you can combine it with vacation time to extend it (I’m not).

It’s a great benefit - one of the perks that Intel offers that not many other companies do. They do it to let you recharge and refocus and reinvigorate yourself, which is exactly what I’m going to do.

What are my plans? First, I’m organizing an event – Ignite Portland. It’s a fun cool kind of techie event where people get 20 slides for 15 seconds each to present a really cool idea, on any topic.

Free to attend, free to present. It’s on Oct. 25 2007 downtown at Wieden+Kennedy. Details are on the site, and if you’re in Portland, I’d love to see you there. There will be free (sponsored) food and drinks, and maybe even schwag! Check it out and RSVP if you can come.

We’re already over 150 people attending, so this party is much larger than I imagined when I conceived of the idea. Let’s blow it all the way out."


No comments: