Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Hightouch: Free Wi-Fi from Starbucks!

Hightouch: "Free Wi-Fi coming to a location near you An article by Mike Elgan of Computer World predicts: Starbucks will start rolling out free Wi-Fi access within one year.

He makes the point that people with the newer Wi-Fi devices will demand such services, and that McDonalds is already moving to rollout free Wi-Fi in all its locations in the UK. I think his prediction is right on the money.

Once I got my iPod Touch I completely changed my morning coffee routine to shops offering free Wi-Fi. Starbucks is going to have to go free if they're going to compete. I know of at least one customer they've lost already.

UPDATE: I realized a couple of other things. I've also altered where I eat lunch. The second reason free is important is that the authentication piece on small devices is a pain. We just want to turn them on and join a network. One reason why I don't care for the free Wi-Fi at Panera Bread."

Helge: Which is a great thing. Skype announced mobile phone application. Calling is free from places like Starbucks.




No comments: