Pages

Monday, October 29, 2007

Marketing Roadmaps and Kat Herding

It was a year ago. I blogged about Kat Herding. Her satirical blog about Web 2.0 and social media was great. What happened to the blog? What is the life expectancy of popular blogs? Why don't they continue? I agree with Marketing Roadmaps.

Marketing Roadmaps: "Nov 17, 2006 Kat Herding A new blog burst on the blogosphere this week, and I am still laughing. Kat Herding. This is what a satirical character blog should be, and we should not be surprised that the 'site contributors' are Chris Locke and Jeneane Sessum, who get the absurd like no one else online.

Why do I like Kat, and I haven't always liked similar character blogs? Because apart from being funny and poking holes in Web 2.0 hype (something I will ALWAYS be for), it is honest. We don't have to look hard to know who is behind this effort.

Since RageBoy is probably the first* known character blogger, who can do it better? *Disclaimer: I have done no empirical research on whether RageBoy actually was the first character blogger, it is just a guess on my part, so please do not send me comments that he wasn't. I actually don't care one way or the other. I still think he's funny."


2 comments:

Christopher Locke said...

As you see, I am signed in here as Kat Herding, but I'm really Chris Locke -- and also RageBoy. That last is a name that was given to me by a bunch of industry luminaries (specifically, by Esther Dyson) at a small but quite amazing little conference in 1995 or so. It wasn't my idea, but it stuck. I had a lot of fun with the Kat Herding site, but the photographer who took those pictures of "Kat" got very mad at me for using them that way. Even though I still believe that my use of his stock photos broke none of the terms of the licensing agreement under which I purchased them, I didn't feel like engaging in a legal and mud-slinging battle, so I took the site down. Yeah, a bummer, but ars longa, vita brevis. The web is more ephemeral than we often like to think. Thanks for your post and good words about both Kat and RB. I'm sure they appreciate your kudos. ;-)

For more recent stuff, try these two...

http://www.rageboy.com/blogger.html

http://mysticbourgeoisie.blogspot.com/

Helge Keitel said...

Chris Locke, thanks for telling your story. Wouldn't it be a great idea to give "Kat" a 2nd Life.

It would have an educational purpose as well. It's important to learn to read and to understand the messages on Internet.

I did get information about you through an US Facebook friend.

Have a great day.

Br Helge