Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Twitter advertising models emerging, quickly « What Matters Online

Twitter advertising models emerging, quickly « What Matters Online: "Well, it was inevitable–but I’ve got to say that I’m a bit surprised at how fast things are moving. While it’s still very early in the game, it looks like advertising and marketing activities are beginning to creep onto Twitter."

Helge: Where you have active people marketers are watching for the perfect time to move in.

"As regular readers of this blog know, I believe that Twitter can support advertising without ruining the experience. That doesn’t mean, however, that all models are equal. As in any other Net medium, spam is a pain, and reports are already surfacing of spammy advertisers following people. On the other hand, I do think Mashable’s story, headlined “Twitter Spam Spirals Out of Control,” goes a bit overboard, as I, for one, haven’t attracted any spam followers yet," writes Anne on her blog.

Helge: I'm happy with Twitter and Jaiku.

She continues, "More interesting than the spammers, by far, is the eBay auction by Twitter user @andrewbaron, who’s selling off his Twitter account and nearly 1,400 followers. With nearly a week left to go on the auction, Baron has already attracted 40 bidders. What’s more, the bids have now topped $1,500–valuing the followers at more than $1 each. While Baron doesn’t describe his follower list as a marketing opportunity, I’m doubting the people bidding on it see it as anything but that."

Helge: Social Media Relationships have a value. I see an identity problem here. Every person is unique.

About Anne

I’m a consultant, interactive analyst, marketer and writer who has followed the biz for almost 20 years. I help companies solve their most complicated communications and strategy problems.

No comments: